Townsite Jazz Festival is back for another year of world-class performances on the Sunshine Coast this April, with 10 ticketed events taking place throughout Powell River’s national historic district. Intimate venues will play host to a variety of jazz flavours: Latin dance grooves, duelling guitars, a trumpet/piano showdown, and just about everything in between. The party will even migrate up the hill for two performances at the newly minted Wildwood Public House! Mark your calendars for April 1-4, 2020 and get those tickets fast – they won’t last long!
Join us in welcoming the following artists to this year’s festival:
– Mazacote (Vancouver)
– Two Much Guitar Quartet feat. Oliver Gannon & Bill Coon (Vancouver)
– Jodi Proznick Quintet with Phil Dwyer & Katherine Penfold (Vancouver/Vancouver Island)
– Miles Black & Watler Martella Duo (Vancouver/Powell River)
– Phil Dwyer Trio (Vancouver Island/Vancouver)
– Pierre Komen Quartet (Vancouver Island)
– Student ensembles including: Capilano University’s ‘Nitecap’ Vocal Jazz, Carson Graham Secondary Vocal Jazz, Nanaimo District Secondary School Jazz Band, Oak Bay Secondary Jazz Combos, and Brooks Secondary Jazz Band & Vocal Jazz.
2020 Festival Schedule
Powell River’s Historic Townsite district is a remarkable gem. The remnants of 1910 city planning are everywhere with plenty of storied venues eager to play host to an unbeatable lineup of musical talent. Jazz is a genre where rules are meant to be broken, and this quirky Arts and Crafts-style neighbourhood mirrors our eclectic programming in a multitude of ways.
Best of all, each of the venues are within comfortable walking distance from one another. (Don’t believe us? Check out this map from our friends at Townsite Heritage Society!) Join us during the Ash Avenue Amble on Saturday, April 4 – a multi-concert open afternoon that features 12+ performances (3 every hour!) throughout the Historic Townsite.
Townsite Jazz Festival wouldn’t be possible without a long list of local organizations, businesses, volunteers and donors. If you would like to sponsor this year’s festival, please click here!